|- A node refers to an individual server or machine part of a more extensive database system.
- It is responsible for storing and processing data and performing tasks such as updates, inserts, selects, etc.
- A node can be a physical computer or a virtual machine (VM).
- A node server can host a DB replica or primary.
|- A cluster is a group of servers or nodes that work together.
- The purpose of a cluster is to distribute workloads, improve performance, and increase availability and resilience. Data can be replicated across multiple nodes in a cluster to ensure data integrity and availability.
- Clusters can be designed to minimize latency and prevent bottlenecks in node-to-node communication.
- Typically, at least one node is designated as the leader node, acting as the entry point to the cluster and possibly delegating incoming work to other nodes.